[AT] Winter storm and cold

dean at vinsonfarm.net dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Jan 6 17:25:33 PST 2014

> This evening felt positively comfortable out there when the wind
> dropped. Came in at 6:00 to see the thermometer at -20F and could hardly
> believe it. Its the wind.

Ralph, nearly 15 years ago I was stationed at Thule Air Base, Greenland, and
came to see how people do indeed adapt.  By the end of my year there I would
shrug off -10F days as not being all that cold.   -30F, different story, that
was always cold for me.   But the native Inuit folks certainly could handle
more; there were times I'd be wrapped up in a parka with the hood zipped all the
way closed into a narrow little vision tube, waddling along in my heavy boots
and mittens, and I'd see a couple guys stroll past in what looked to me like a
light fall jacket.

Dean Vinson
St Paris, Ohio