[Farmall] Red Tractors 1958-2013

dean at vinsonfarm.net dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Jan 6 05:50:10 PST 2014

Roberto, I also have a copy of Red Tractors 1958-2013.  Pretty good book, isn't
it?  I saw editor Lee Klancher at the Red Power Roundup last fall here in Ohio,
and he had a fairly steady line of people coming up to his display table and
checking out the book.

Somewhat related to A Corporate Tragedy, in this new Red Tractors book I was
glad to see some discussion of the Farmall 560 final drive failures when that
tractor was introduced at the end of the 1950s.    One of the IH engineers
quoted in Red Tractors 1958-2013 says IH might have generated unnecessary bad
publicity for themselves by launching such an extensive rebuilding program,
rather than simply fixing tractors when and if they had problems.

Red Tractors 1958-2013 didn't really go into the causes of IH's decline, and I
don't know how big the 560's problems would seem in comparison to IH's labor and
organizational struggles.  But it's always seemed to me it must have been a
massive strategic blow, to have their flagship tractor take a public-relations
beating on the eve of John Deere's introduction of the 4010.

Dean Vinson
St Paris, Ohio