[AT] OT - computer advice

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Aug 4 18:57:28 PDT 2014

Mike wrote:
> Hi guys, our youngest is heading off to college this fall, and my wife
> and I are getting her a new laptop to get her started. From everything I
> read Windows 8 is a real clunker, and most like Windows 7 better.
> Although I'm still running two XP machines, the laptop that we use daily
> has Windows 7, and we have no problems with it. Should I look for a
> machine that comes with Windows 7, or is 8 not as bad as people are
> making it out to be. Thanks for any advice. And no Dave, Apple isn't in
> our budget :)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike M

I run just about every windows version out there.

Win 8.1 is not a bad OS, And if she has been using a smart phone it will
be very familiar. It has been real stable as long as I didn't try to run
real antique software on it. If she wants the traditional desktop it is
still there and can be set up to default to the desktop in 8.1

Win 7 is still available from some vendors (Dell sells business machines
with it) But it is getting long in the tooth as well.

Also check into what the school she is attending supports. My niece
decided that she wanted a Mac. Then discovered that SUNY didn't support
them.

Personally I would opt for a Dell business class machine with just the
OS and maybe Office. Then add on what she needs. Also pay the extra
charge to get the software dvds. That way you have hard copies and don't
need to create your own. Opt for a mid size internal drive and a couple
outboard drives for all the extras and files. That way you're not hurt
if anything fails.

--
Steve W.