[AT] OT Raising Chickens

Doug Tallman dtallman at accnorwalk.com
Sat Sep 14 20:23:21 PDT 2013

 This fella from the city buys a 5 acre parcel and decides he's gonna
make a small fortune raising chickens. He goes to the local feed and
farm store and starts asking one of the workers for advice. A few days
later he buys 100 chicks.

Abot 2 days later, he's back in there. He calls the worker over and
claims they sold him defective chicks. "Every single one of those chicks
died!" Well, the store worker is a bit puzzled. He gets the manager. The
manager doesn't want to lose a customer, so he gives the city fella 100
replacement chicks and an apology.

2 days later he's back in there hoppin' mad. "Why these chicks are no
better than the first 100. Every single one of them dead!" The manger
asks him a few questions. "what are you feeding them?" "That starter mix
your employee suggested." "Are you watering them?" "I have 5 of them
fancy waterers your employee suggested I buy." "How 'bout heat lamps?
Are you keeping them warm?" "Yes! I'm keeping them right at the
temperature your employee suggested!"

Puzzled, the manager calls the worker over to join the conversation. The
manager asks him to recount all the advice he'd given the city farmer.
The employee rattles off every little detail of successful chicken
farming-even a few tips the manager didn't know about, but that made
sense to him. The manager turns to the customer and says, "Well, he gave
you solid advice. I'm not sure why the chicks keep dying so quickly. But
we'll give you another 100."

The city fella thanks the manager. As they are loading the 100 chicks
into his Prius, the city boy turns to the worker and says, "OK, I got
one more question. I've followed all of your advice and your boss has
confidence in you, so I'll trust you on this. But I've never once heard
you say how deep to plant them."