[AT] Drill bits

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Sun Oct 13 21:39:38 PDT 2013

I've had consistent success sharpening bits freehand on the flat side of a
grinding wheel.  I'm sure my bits have drifted some from the correct angles
but they cut well.

I've not been able to sharpen real small bits this way...maybe about 1/8
inch and less.  I'm just not steady nor accurate enough to do the smaller
bits.

Study up just a little on bit geometry, there is plenty of information on
the web.  I rotate the bits with my right hand whilst the left hand guides
the bit into the stone.

Some bits don't sharpen up well, I expect they are tempered just at the
factory edge and once that's ground past the steel isn't any good.  That
seems to be true for some cheaper bits I have bought that cut well for a
little while and then need to be discarded as near as I can figure.

Will be interested where this thread goes.

Bill Brueck
   Pine Island, MN  USA