[AT] OT - Question about chain

Al Jones farmallsupera at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 26 18:47:16 PST 2013

Those big nylon "snatch ropes" are pretty popular around here.  They are real handy when a big tandem poultry litter truck mires down to the axles and all you have is a 100 hp tractor to pull it out.  Hook on and then put the tractor in a field gear--or higher--and take off. Don't let up until the tractor comes to a dead stop or the stuck truck comes out.  The rope takes up the shock when the rope comes tight, and then the slingshot effect causes the rope "pull" for you.

I have heard horror stories of chains snapping in a heavy pull, slingshot-ing through the back glasses of tractor cabs, etc.  The rope I mention usually has a big loop in it--no metal involved in the rope itself.

As far as securing tractors on trailers, I prefer chains.  When I haul my Cub sometimes I cheat and use a strap, but it's about the only thing I strap.  When I haul my Super A and fast hitch disk or plow, I will use a strap to sort of stabilize the implement, but the tractor itself gets chains.

Al