[AT] OT - Question about chain

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Tue Nov 26 18:16:00 PST 2013

On 11/26/2013 7:04 PM, Mogrits wrote:
> You'll get as many opinions as responses to this and I'm not prepared to
> argue about any of them. Last company I worked for had a strict policy: "If
> the load is to be secured, use chain. If lifted or moved, use nylon straps
> or cable". Reason for this policy was because another contractor on a large
> project we were working on attempted to pull a load with a chain. Chain
> broke instantly, piece of link flew and hit another man in the head and
> killed him in his tracks. Standing right next to our superintendent. Our
> thinking was with cable or straps you generally see fraying before
> catastrophic failure.
Here we like the big nylon ropes. I forget the rating but I have used
them to pull loaded semis out of mud with my 170 hp Magnum. Stalled the
Magnum one time but the rope never gave. The stretch factor gives a
tremendous advantage. Kind of a slingshot effect that moves the stuck
vehicle out of the hole. I've heard of guys snapping links in the grade
70 chain though. I guess with 400 hp 4 wheel drive tractor trying to
pull a loaded combine out of the mud it was beyond the limits of the chain.
Ive also got a big nylon strap type. About a 50 footer. I haven't used
it enough to tell if it has much of a stretch factor like the ropes but
it rolls up nice and compact and is light to carry. No steel, just
braided loops of nylon to hook up with.

Ralph in Sask.