[AT] OT - Question about chain

k7jdj at aol.com k7jdj at aol.com
Tue Nov 26 22:41:07 PST 2013

I have used all the mentioned and have broken most.  All pose risk.  I make every effort to not have anyone near operations that involve heavy pulls.  As to the strength of chain,  there are several grades and strengths.
Only marked chain should be used.  High test (grade 43) has a breaking strength of 3 times the working load and Transport chain (Grade 70) has 4 times the breaking strength of the working load. You can Google chain strength and see the specifics.  Using some old rusty damaged or unmarked chain to pull much more than a stuck riding lawnmower is dangerous.  The original post was about chain. Several good points have been expressed about nylon ropes, straps, cable etc. and they have merit.

Anyone remember Farmer's post about the time his wife towed a tractor for him with a near new station wagon?  Very detailed and amusing. I think I have that post saved somewhere.

Gary
Renton, WA