[AT] garden question; potatoes

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Jun 21 07:34:25 PDT 2013

Agreed Al.  I've been tempted to try it myself but at 63 (in a few days) I
don't
know if I'm up for it.  I've got the same equipment my daddy grew tobacco
with
and I have irrigation equipment and ponds.  All it will really take is
getting my land
back from the tenant farmer, a lot of labor and the money necessary for the
seeds,
fertilizers, etc.

There is a guy over around Kinston who is selling his produce in an
innovative way.
He went to the Hospital where Lynn works and signed up over 100 people who
pay
him for either a 6 week or a 12 week program at $20 bucks a week.  Every
Wed. he
shows up with bushel size boxes full of produce from his farm.  We're in for
the whole 12
weeks and so far it's been great.  You never know what you are getting but
it's all been
fresh and good quality and a wide variety including some things I had never
eaten before
like Swiss Chard and Bok Choi.  It's not a bargain price but cheaper than it
would be in
a grocery store.  It's fresh and all you have to do is go by his stand when
you leave work on
Wed. to get your box.  I don't know where else he is doing it.  There are
usually 8 or more
different items in the box ranging from blueberries and strawberries to
eggs.

Charlie