[AT] lost--generators

Carl Gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sun Dec 22 09:49:14 PST 2013

I just bought a Generac LP-5500 that is sufficient to start and run the well
pump but not AC.  It is propane only and replaces a 3500 watt Winco tri-fuel
that my mother bought in about 1970.  In the last five years I have only run
a generator for abut 4 hours, but in 2000 it ran intermittently for almost 7
days keeping our refrigerator and freezer and a neighbor's refrigerator
acceptably cold.  Had to sequence plugging in the cords so all three
compressors didn't try to start at once.  the generator is connected to a
manual transfer switch and the main load center is set up to easily isolate
nonessential circuits that are concentrated in a subpanel.  Fueling with
propane avoids all the hassles  of stale gasoline that plagued us on the
farm, even before ethanol was added.  I keep a few extra 20 lb. propane
tanks around for emergencies than I would normally need.  I was planning to
buy a couple of 30 Lb. tanks, but might just stick with a few more 20
pounders as they can be transported inside a vehicle whereas the 30 lb. type
require using the trailer.  the local hardware store now has a generator and
can fill propane tanks in an outage so it doesn't require a large stockpile
of tanks.  We have a 500 gallon propane tank for heating and  hot water, but
the supplier would have a hemorrhage if I filled small tanks from it.