[AT] MF 135

drupert at seanet.com drupert at seanet.com
Sun Apr 7 23:30:47 PDT 2013

 ----Original Message-----
From: Tom
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 7:46 PM
To: Antique tractor email discussion group
Subject: Re: [AT] MF 135

Can I ask why you didn't shim the rods to the crank while it was out?
Tom

Tom you certainly can.  The answer is I did and I didn't.  Let me explain -

While I gave the sequence of events in my initial post I did not give any
indication of the time interval between them.   I removed the Crank nearly
TWENTY YEARS ago now, had it turned, shimmed the Rods to the Crank (just
as you suggested), reinstalled the Crank with new Main Bearings (Inserts)
and then inserted the Pistons and Rods into the Cylinders and attached the
Rods to the Crank with the already predetermined proper amount of shims.

Fast forward twenty years - I removed the Head, Cylinder, Pistons and Rods
from the Main Case this PAST FALL and then had the Cylinder bored 90
thousands.  I have new Pistons attached to a set of Rods that I took from
another JD B that are now ready to be attached to the Crank; however, in
this case I don't already know what the proper amount of shims are.

When the Crank is out your' suggested method for determining the proper
amount of shims is great.  When I started the Crank removal job twenty
years ago I didn't know it but was glad a guy shared it with me ... and I
am glad you now shared it with the list.

Dudley