[AT] MF 135

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Sat Apr 6 17:59:11 PDT 2013

Shimming the old 6 cyl Hercules engines was the ones that were a royal
PITA you had to have the crush just right or the bearing would turn in
the housing.  If I ever get a machine in with a Herc, I just scrap it
and find a Continental....   I have one generator that has a Herc in
it... It was supposed to run.  It was an old FAA remote direction
unit...  It had a 100 gallon fuel tank that set 50 ft away.   I tried
for a 1/2 day to get it to run.  Gave up and found one head gasket set
in Tulsa OK.  Found one and only 1 set of rings at the Hastings
Factory.  It took 2 days to get the pistons out without damage.  Still
tore up the ring lands on one.  Got the new rings installed and
installed pistons.  It got set aside for about 2 weeks during the spring
hay season...  I got back to work on it and installed a propane carb.
Started it up, it knocked a little.  Could not really determine what it
was.  after about 45 seconds, a BIG BANG then clunk, clunk, clunk....
Pulled head. Broken piston, bent rod, hole in cylinder and a chunk out
of the block just above the pan..  Top of piece of piston was embedded
with dirt.  Found Dirt Dauber nest in Manifold.  Manifold had been
sandblasted and blown out during cleaning..   Filled the block with JB
weld and Devcon..   Got another rod, piston, and rings from Hercano,
then nearly had a heart attack when NAPA priced the repair sleeve.
$100.00 !!!   I got one for a NAA ford for $18.00 from Hy-capacity.
Bored the block for it, my boring bar was nearly too big for that size,
but I got it done.  Sleeve stuck in the block half way down, after
soaking in alcohol and dry ice.... I put a 1 inch iron plate in top and
got a 10 lb sledge.  Sleeve moved about 1/4 in with each lick.  Bored
sleeve to size.  Now I just need to get it outside and hang from the
forklift with the steam cleaner to get all the cuttings out....I will
change oil about 3 times in the first 2 hours, and I think It will be ok....

I tried to start one of my old pneumatic rollers last fall to pull the
Ford Industrial engine out of and install in a forklift.  It ran like
crap.  Found a dirt dauber nest on top of the throttle plate.  Luckily
found it before it went through the manifold...

Cecil in OKla