[AT] Farmer Robinson?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:30:24 PDT 2012

Thanks Mattias,  the word you were reaching for was "wedge" as in wooden
wedge.
yes, I know that method.  My problem is that this handle is very old.  I'm
certain
it's been in that maul since it was new and it's 35 years or more old.
Over time
with the handle occasionally getting loose the handle end has become
misshaped
so that it doesn't fit the head properly.   I tried putting it back on last
week by
coating the wood with hot glue to fill in the out of shape places and hope
it would
hold but it didn't.   Today I used a grinder with a sandpaper disc to
re-shape the end
of the handle and I got it in pretty good shape.  Then I put the head back
on and drove the
metal wedges that were already in it down tight.   Next I soaked it in hot
water for a while.
Hopefully that will hold it.  If not I'll locate some wooden wedges and try
it as you mentioned.

Farmer had some technique that I think involved heating the ax head red hot
so the the handle
basically burned it's self into a tight fit when it was re-attached (still
hot)  but I just can't remember
now how he said to do it.

Charlie