[AT] Farmer Robinson?

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Wed Sep 26 16:43:13 PDT 2012

charlie hill wrote:
> Thanks Mattias,  the word you were reaching for was "wedge" as in
> wooden wedge. yes, I know that method.  My problem is that this
> handle is very old.  I'm certain it's been in that maul since it was
> new and it's 35 years or more old. Over time with the handle
> occasionally getting loose the handle end has become misshaped so
> that it doesn't fit the head properly.   I tried putting it back on
> last week by coating the wood with hot glue to fill in the out of
> shape places and hope it would hold but it didn't.   Today I used a
> grinder with a sandpaper disc to re-shape the end of the handle and I
> got it in pretty good shape.  Then I put the head back on and drove
> the metal wedges that were already in it down tight.   Next I soaked
> it in hot water for a while. Hopefully that will hold it.  If not
> I'll locate some wooden wedges and try it as you mentioned.
>
> Farmer had some technique that I think involved heating the ax head
> red hot so the the handle basically burned it's self into a tight fit
> when it was re-attached (still hot)  but I just can't remember now
> how he said to do it.
>
> Charlie

I deal with loose handles using a simple method. Dry them completely.
Now clean out the
original wedge area. Next cut one slot across the handle. Now mix up a
batch of epoxy and dip the end in the epoxy.
Seat the handle. Drive in the wedges. now pour some epoxy into the
pocket. Let it cure and it should hold for a long time.
If the handle is very loose soak a strip of fiberglass cloth in epoxy
and wrap the handle before you insert it.

--
Steve W.