[AT] tractor hydraulic pressure measuring? Dean

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue May 22 22:20:34 PDT 2012

Cecil R Bearden wrote:
> The early tractor's relief valve was replaced with the later relief
> valve with no problems.  I cannot find a reference to the pressure of
> the to-35 pressure, but the MF-35 was 2800 .  The valve was usually
> referred to 2750.  This seems to be correct in my memory of working on
> the early Ferguson and fords.   I spent a lot of hours in a tractor shop
> working on the hydraulics.   I would suggest looking to see if you have
> a control valve that has another relief in it that could be allowing the
> oil to bypass the control and go back to sump when you load it above
> 1750 psi.
>
> Early loaders had about a 2 in diameter piston in the cylinder and the
> cylinder operated at a 45 deg angle usually.   If you work on the 300
> psi difference, and take the area of the piston, it figures out to 1884
> lbs of thrust combined.  At a 45 degree angle, this would be the cosine
> of 45 (.707) x 1884 = 1331 lbs to raise a load.  This is about 1/2 yd of
> sand, and that is about what the old tractors would handle.    It sounds
> ok to me......   A large round bale or hay would be nearly flatten the
> early tires. The rear tires would have to be ballasted and then put a
> box blade on the rear also.
>
> I am sure someone will try to  shoot holes in my figures, but it is a
> close approximation.
> Cecil in OKla

Sounds about right. I'm just wondering if this is the tractors system.
John says his tractor has a "front mount pump" The 35 I have has an
internal pump for the hydraulics.

I've seen more than a few broken axles/spindles and front castings from
heavy loads on these tractors. They are a handy tractor but loaders are
not really fun on them. Especially the ones that don't have power steering !

--
Steve W.