[AT] tractor hydraulic pressure measuring? Dean

Cecil R Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue May 22 20:40:07 PDT 2012

The early tractor's relief valve was replaced with the later relief
valve with no problems.  I cannot find a reference to the pressure of
the to-35 pressure, but the MF-35 was 2800 .  The valve was usually
referred to 2750.  This seems to be correct in my memory of working on
the early Ferguson and fords.   I spent a lot of hours in a tractor shop
working on the hydraulics.   I would suggest looking to see if you have
a control valve that has another relief in it that could be allowing the
oil to bypass the control and go back to sump when you load it above
1750 psi.

Early loaders had about a 2 in diameter piston in the cylinder and the
cylinder operated at a 45 deg angle usually.   If you work on the 300
psi difference, and take the area of the piston, it figures out to 1884
lbs of thrust combined.  At a 45 degree angle, this would be the cosine
of 45 (.707) x 1884 = 1331 lbs to raise a load.  This is about 1/2 yd of
sand, and that is about what the old tractors would handle.    It sounds
ok to me......   A large round bale or hay would be nearly flatten the
early tires. The rear tires would have to be ballasted and then put a
box blade on the rear also.

I am sure someone will try to  shoot holes in my figures, but it is a
close approximation.
Cecil in OKla