[AT] Was Texas now "alternative" brand tractors

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Fri Jul 20 13:32:39 PDT 2012

Ralph,

Yep, I completely forgot about the late AR's changing to 12 Volts in 1949. The early
numbered Series 50 and 60 that replaced the B & A in 1952 respectively all had 12 volt
start. I suspect the AR and AO were the first to get 12V  start as a test bed for the
early numbered series.  All JD Two Cylinders were Positive ground. At AR serial # 281400
JD was forced to using a water pump caused by having  to use a steel cored radiator  that
was due to a copper shortage caused by the Korean War. The AR had been an unstyled tractor
due to benign neglect, the Row Crop brothers had been style in 1939, all the way to their
introduction in 1949 when JD finally got around to styling the AR and AO in 1949 and then
made several improvements that were an indication of what was to come in the later early
numbered series. First time Live hydraulics driven by a hydraulic pump on the governor was
standard equipment but could be deleted, 12 volt lighting and starting and the new styling
of the R which included major changes in styling. The styled AR wasn't replaced until 1953
when the 60 Standard finally came out. The very last AR serial # built was shipped from
the factory in 5/13/1953 was an all fuel version Serial # 284073 . The very last Gasoline
AR was serial # 284055 shipped from the factory 4/30/1953. The AR had slightly less HP
than the D and wasn't considered a replacement to the D, the R was, but the AR could do a
lot of the D's work.

Dean VP
Snohomish, WA

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson