[AT] Was Texas now "alternative" brand tractors

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sat Jul 21 07:34:01 PDT 2012

On 7/20/2012 2:32 PM, Dean VP wrote:
> Ralph,
>
> Yep, I completely forgot about the late AR's changing to 12 Volts in 1949. The early
> numbered Series 50 and 60 that replaced the B&  A in 1952 respectively all had 12 volt
> start. I suspect the AR and AO were the first to get 12V  start as a test bed for the
> early numbered series.  All JD Two Cylinders were Positive ground. At AR serial # 281400
> JD was forced to using a water pump caused by having  to use a steel cored radiator  that
> was due to a copper shortage caused by the Korean War. The AR had been an unstyled tractor
> due to benign neglect, the Row Crop brothers had been style in 1939, all the way to their
> introduction in 1949 when JD finally got around to styling the AR and AO in 1949 and then
> made several improvements that were an indication of what was to come in the later early
> numbered series. First time Live hydraulics driven by a hydraulic pump on the governor was
> standard equipment but could be deleted, 12 volt lighting and starting and the new styling
> of the R which included major changes in styling. The styled AR wasn't replaced until 1953
> when the 60 Standard finally came out. The very last AR serial # built was shipped from
> the factory in 5/13/1953 was an all fuel version Serial # 284073 . The very last Gasoline
> AR was serial # 284055 shipped from the factory 4/30/1953. The AR had slightly less HP
> than the D and wasn't considered a replacement to the D, the R was, but the AR could do a
> lot of the D's work.

Dean, I don't know what year my dad's D was but I'm sure it had electric
start. Many times I heard the story of how, as a little kid riding along
on it I brushed against the batteries and the acid burned a hole through
my pants. I think it took two six volts, was a "styled" D likely from
the late fourties.
I'll have to check the serial number of my AR and maybe find for sure
what year it is.
The D was a heavier tractor than the AR with bigger tires and would pull
a heavier load. No road gear or turning brakes though. The D had a
p.t.o. because I know Dad used it on a pto binder. Also he installed a
char lynn hydraulic that ran off the pto shaft.

Ralph in Sask.