[AT] Easier to Start?

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Sun Jul 15 20:44:50 PDT 2012

If it were a tractor that I was repairing, there are two things that I would
do.  The first one is replace the Champion plugs with something else, AC or
Autolite.  The second thing I would check it your entire fuel system.  First
take the plug out of the bottom of your carb and see if the fuel is flowing
at a good rate.  If it is the next step is to check your float level, I
don't have that info right now, it is at my shop.  If you contact me off
list, I can email it to you.  You check the level by screwing a 1/8" nipple
into the drain plug hole.  Have a piece of clear tubing attached to the
nipple, bend it so it goes higher than the top of the float bowl.  Measure
the fuel level to the bottom of the carb body.  If that is alright, remove
the carb and completely disassemble it.  You might have a blocked main
passage or blocked vent passage.  I just had a McCormick W9 in my shop this
past week, it was running alright till just recently. Then the customer said
you would have to have the choke half way on to get it to rev up and stay
revved up. I confirmed and he was correct. I went through the above steps
and found the main nozzle partially plugged.  I made sure all the other
passages were clean, put the carb back on the tractor and it runs like a
top. You might also want to check for a vacuum leak. While the tractor is
running, spray some starting fluid around the intake portion of the manifold
and where the carb bolts to the manifold.  If the engine speeds up at all,
you have a leak.

I say the spark plugs also, because there are several cases where I have
tractors start hard, I then changed the plugs to a different brand other
than Champion, and the hard starting problems went away.

Louis Spiegelberg
Spiegelberg Restoration and Service, LTD
440-965-7679
www.srstractor.com
www.facebook.com/srsltd
mailto:sales at srstractor.com