[AT] DC Case

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Sun Jan 15 13:34:07 PST 2012

My cousin's dad bought a home built go-cart.   The guy that built it used a
cable throttle like the ones used on old lawn mowers.  The only thing is he
hooked it up so that when the cable was pulled all the way out the engine
was at idle and when it was pushed all the way in the engine was wide open.
The first time I rode it the front wheels got in some soft sand and I kind
of lost control so I quickly tried to
kill the throttle but instinctively threw it wide open.  Next thing I knew I
was aimed head long for the side of my uncles brand new Chrysler that had
been delivered by the dealer that very morning.    The go cart came to rest
with the front wheels under the Chrysler.   Luckily the steering column
jammed under the rocker panel of the Chrysler with out so much as putting a
scratch on the car.  The only thing hurt was a minor bend in the steering
column and my pride.   My uncle never let me drive the go cart again.  Of
course I never asked.   It was absolutely not my fault.   My attempt to stop
the engine was the first time my hand had ever been on that throttle.  My
uncle set it for me when I took off  (it had a centrifugal clutch like a
chain saw) and I don't know how a 10 year could have known the thing was
hooked up backwards.

Charlie