[AT] DC Case

Ron Cook rlcook at longlines.com
Sun Jan 15 12:57:01 PST 2012

Gene,
     Now that would be a real bugger!  Up is down down is up.  Back is
forward and off the trailer onto the tongue.  Danged good way to get
badly injured or even killed.  I actually know of a Thrush that had the
elevator hooked up wrong after rebuild.  Luckily an experienced pilot
took the test flight and discovered the problem before takeoff during
preflight control check.  Unfortunately the mechanic was never reported
and he is an AI today operating an airport and mechanic business and his
work might just still be as bad.  Before I knew better, I had him adjust
the valves on my 1340 and reinstall the prop after overhaul.  Two very
bad and very unsafe experiences with him all on one annual inspection.
Whole nuther story.
      I think that clutch business was why I was the primary operator of
that old DC on our farm for the short time we had it.  I had done quite
a bit of operating my uncle's D4 Cat, so I never had a problem with that
clutch.  I did think that flat lever was a bit cheap appearing at the
time.  But it worked fine.