[AT] now disc brakes, plowing

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Dec 30 20:17:04 PST 2012

On 12/30/2012 8:36 PM, Len Rugen wrote:
> So, when were you on my farm?  The odd shaped fields have the mounds at
> the edge, some even have more than one, progressively further into the
> brush at the edge.  These would eventually lead to a "break thru" of the
> berm somewhere and massive erosion at that point.  I've use the plow to
> try to close some of the perpetual dead furrows with mixed results and
> I've switched to a chisel plow or just disking.  I don't break much
> ground compared to the past days of grain farming.

Same deal here with the one way diskers and tillers everybody used to
work with. Most just went around the field working from the outside in,
thus throwing soil to the outside all the time. Every bush and slough,
and there are lots of them, would have a ridge of soil thrown up around
the edge. Narrow strips of land between bushes would get really dished
out and worn right down to the yellow clay in the centre while the
topsoil was thrown out into the bush. Sometimes we would make the
outside round backwards to pull the soil in but it was pretty tricky. If
the disker rode up onto that ridge it would do a "runaway" into the
bushes unless you were fast on the hydraulics or clutch.

Ralph in Sask.