[Ford-ferguson] 8N starter troubles

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Tue Dec 4 04:34:33 PST 2012

Assuming that the starter is spinning fast enough, the next suggestion
would be to clean the drive and put some dry lubricant (like graphite
powder) to help it slide.

But first I would remove the starter, put it on the floor, and jump it
directly with hefty battery cables. The starter should really jump and
the gear slam forward hard, not just motor gently. If it just sits there
and spins around softly, I would presume that you need to check the
brushes and/or clean the commutator. There are descriptions of that
process on the Web, so I won't go into the details. But it isn't "rocket
science".

If it isn't neither brushes or the commutator, then look for bare wires
and/or solder blobs around the field and armature windings. That is "the
kiss of death", meaning that the starter is shot and needs to be
rebuilt/replaced. The most common cause of that problem is the shaft
bushings have worn and allowed the armature to touch and cut the field
wiring insulation, shorting out the windings.

Just some thoughts,

Mike