[AT] Massey Ferguson FE-35

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Tue Sep 20 14:23:52 PDT 2011

Chris Bull wrote:
> I am new to AT and I am looking for advice on my Massey Ferguson
> FE-35 4 cylinder diesel. The radiator needs extensive repair and I am
> trying to decide whether to spend the $500 required to fix it. I have
> been advised to just junk the tractor because these old FE - 35 4
> cylinder diesels are so difficult to start they are considered
> worthless. Is this sound advice or does the FE - 35 4 cylinder diesel
> have some value as a collectors item? It runs well, and has good tin
> and rubber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there anyone
> on the AT list who has this model of tractor or is knowledgeable
> about it? Thanks Chris Bull

Here is an FE with the Standard 4 Diesel being started in below zero.
Doesn't seem that hard to start...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xid9Pj39fac&feature=related

The main reasons for hard starting with the Standard are timing chain
stretch or bad glow plugs. If it has the flamethrower preheater they can
also be a problem if they get crud built up in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSJEMwxwOE&feature=related

interesting article about it.
http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2010/10/enlarging-pre-combustion-chamber-aids-starting-standard-23c-engine/

--