[AT] Massey Ferguson FE-35

John Maddock agtronixjv at southcom.com.au
Tue Sep 20 15:20:45 PDT 2011

Here in Tasmania the 35 diesels had a reputation of being hard starters as
they got older, but some on this list have already offered reasons which
sound valid. Despite this, you should not discard the machine: it is a
classic!

For more info, go to British Farming Forum & search the Classic Tractor
section.

I'm sure you'll find a wealth of info.  If you decide to join the forum &
find the operators slow to respond, let me know & I'll post questions on
your behalf.

JV

> Chris Bull wrote:
>> I am new to AT and I am looking for advice on my Massey Ferguson
>> FE-35 4 cylinder diesel. The radiator needs extensive repair and I am
>> trying to decide whether to spend the $500 required to fix it. I have
>> been advised to just junk the tractor because these old FE - 35 4
>> cylinder diesels are so difficult to start they are considered
>> worthless. Is this sound advice or does the FE - 35 4 cylinder diesel
>> have some value as a collectors item? It runs well, and has good tin
>> and rubber. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there anyone
>> on the AT list who has this model of tractor or is knowledgeable
>> about it? Thanks Chris Bull
>>

> Here is an FE with the Standard 4 Diesel being started in below zero.
> Doesn't seem that hard to start...
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xid9Pj39fac&feature=related
>
> The main reasons for hard starting with the Standard are timing chain
> stretch or bad glow plugs. If it has the flamethrower preheater they can
> also be a problem if they get crud built up in them.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJSJEMwxwOE&feature=related
>
> interesting article about it.
> http://vintagetractorengineer.com/2010/10/enlarging-pre-combustion-chamber-aids-starting-standard-23c-engine/
>
> --
> Steve W.

Read tasmaniantimes.com... for news and views you won't find in the
newspapers