[AT] Another stormy day in Sask.

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Fri Mar 11 16:59:39 PST 2011

Ralph Goff wrote:
> On 3/11/2011 5:12 PM, Gene's Wowway e-mail wrote:
>> As always, Ralph, Thanks!
>>
>> now, could I ask you,, in general terms, how do you go about making your
>> conversions?  I have about a kazillion old cassette tapes I want to
>> digitize - mostly old audio books the library was getting rid of.
>>

> Gene, if you are talking audio cassettes I can't help you there. The
> video capture device I use is a Pinnacle systems Dazzler
>   http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSite/us/Products/Consumer+Products/Dazzle/Dazzle+Video+Archiving/Dazzle+Video+Creator+Plus+HD.htm
> Connect my camcorder up to the "dazzler" which plugs in via USB port to
> the computer. Then  I use a program that is built right into Windows XP
> and 7 called "Windows Movie Maker" to collect and edit the video clips. '
> I recall there was a free audio capture software that I tried out a few
> years ago but now can not recall the name of it.
>
> Ralph in Sask.

The easy way to convert audio books is with a tape deck and Audacity.
You connect up the deck to the line in.
Start Audacity (Free program that does a TON of things)
Then start playing the tape.
In Audacity you can edit the track, remove noise and whatever else you
need. Then save the files in many different formats easily.
With an audio book you can save the file at a low bitrate and save a lot
of memory space.
One thing I will tell you is that once you start recording try to do all
of one set of tapes at the same time. That way if you accidentally
change settings the recording will be the same level and you won't have
to adjust them on your own.

I picked up a cheap single deck machine off E-Bay but just about any
deck can be used. Just be careful if you use the headphone out to feed
your machine. You have to set it very low.

--
Steve W.