[AT] Johnson County Indiana tractor show/Denton SEOld Threseher's Reunion

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 06:09:48 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 7:38 AM, charlie hill
<charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Same here Al.   I have some physical work I need to get done outside and I'm
> actually afraid to try to do it.  I can barely breath in the house and I
> believe I could hang some hams and sausages in the trees and smoke them as
> well as we used to do in the smoke house.
>
> I'm testing my memory here but isn't the planting date for Soybeans already
> past?   You can still plant them but unless they extend the deadline can you
> insure the crop?    I hear some guys are thinking about planting Milo (grain
> sorghum) instead.   I don't know if that would work or not.
>
> Charlie

We have been about to drown in Central Indiana... We have been having
rain more days this spring than not. We have only had periods of 3 or
4 days in a row without rain very recently. Luckily some of the days
earlier were only small amounts and it firmed up enough that everybody
finally got crops in the ground and they are doing very well. There
are a number of fields that are in soybeans that were originally to
have been in corn but it was getting pretty late for corn for some of
them.
 I wanted to drill about 12 acres of oats as a nurse crop for some
grass hay (Orchard grass, timothy and a little Reed canary grass) but
it just kept raining and raining. About the time I thought I was going
to plant the oats early Diana's mom died and we were scheduled into
the doctor stuff heavy plus all the rains so it just didn't happen.
The fellow I rent much of the farm to saw that it was not happening
and asked if I wanted to cash rent that patch to him for soybeans and
I jumped on it  :-)
He has farmed most of the place since I retired from grain farming a
number of years ago and I have been very pleased with him. We don't
talk much, he is always going on the run but he does a good job and
works hard at protecting the ground from erosion. He also comes over
and bush hogs around the fields, picks up limbs etc. He now mostly
no-tills and grows food grade corn and seed soybeans both under
contract.
About that rain... A week ago Monday we got really wet. Our rain gauge
holds just over 5" and it ran over by a pretty good amount in one day.
Roads closed every where. One of our daughters could not find a route
to work and a lady that rents horse pasture from us was trying to
trailer her horses back here from some eventing and had to double back
and try different roads at least 4 times.
I have been trying to get the limbs all picked up since the big ice
storm earlier and a constant supply from all of the storms and high
winds since. Dragging limbs is one of those jobs that I have trouble
doing a lot of at once without pi$$ing out so I do a little at a time.
We are finally getting about caught up at it so it must be about time
for another big storm  :-)  Either a storm or the summer's drought
will start. We about drowned last spring then got hit with a drought
that lasted until about Thanksgiving... It ended just in time for a
really nasty winter to kick in :-)  Son Scott came and picked up most
of one huge batch of down limbs.
One of our daughters lives in south-east TN and she describes weather
like you NC guys are talking about...

--

Nothing will teach you patience like a horse. Rule #1, the horse is
rarely wrong...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA