[AT] Pluck chickens with a clothes dryer?

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Thu Jul 14 06:48:56 PDT 2011

There is a place down here in NC, just off I-95 near the Selma-Smithfield
area called the Nahaunta Pork Center.  I've eaten a lot of good sausage,
both store bought and home made.  This is the best I ever ate.  The guy
started off as a hog farmer and then moved into slaughtering and processing
his own hogs.   He grows them, slaughters them and processes them for
retail.  I'm not sure if he does  any wholesale.  I don't think he needs to.
He does have a stand at the Raleigh farmers market I think or maybe it's at
the state fairground Saturday yard sale.

It's supposedly the largest all pork meat market in the country.  It's off
on a country road and you have to know how to get to it but he still has a
parking lot full of cars most of the time.  Many of them from out of state.
Folks come with big coolers and haul sausage and all other pork products
back home.  It is a complete retail butcher shop but all pork.  I've been
known to haul 40 lbs or more of fresh link sausage to Maryland when I go.
It's not that I want to but I made the mistake of taking some of the sausage
up there one time because I got tired of what they called sausage and wanted
to show my friends there what I call sausage.  That was a mistake because
now when I go I get orders and have to go out of my way and blow half an
hour or more on an already long trip.

Sausage is something that varies greatly from region to region and folks
like what they are used to but I never saw anyone say they didn't like this
sausage and most rave about it.

Charlie