[AT] [Bulk] Spam> Re: FW: Re: hello?, now "people never get rid"

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Jan 26 18:04:51 PST 2011

Gene/Ralph,

I can really relate to building stuff with used lumber and recycled bent nails. Most of our buildings on our farm in NW IA were
built with used lumber. One of the larger corn cribs was built with used walnut 2 x 4's. Had to drill pilot holes to get a nail in.
Real 2" x 4" rough cut lumber. Walnut trees grew wild locally. We didn't re-use allot of the square nails, I don't know why, but we
sure did save every nail that came out of the used lumber when we tore down old houses and buildings.  There was a pile of used
lumber in the grove that was worked any time we had any free time just to pull out old nails. One whole wall of the separate two car
garage built in 1948 was a wall from another salvaged building. Dad didn't buy new tractors or implements. The only NEW implement
that I remember was a 4 row corn planter (JD 490?). It was the first in the county and raised quite a stir. We still checked the
rows of corn then and Dad joked that he didn't know if he could get 4 rows to line up properly when checked. I have a vivid visual
memory of my Dad moving and stretching that check wire at the ends of the field. It was an art to him to get those checked rows
perfectly straight. And he did. The only new tractor I remember that Dad bought was in 1962 which was a JD 3010. Unfortunately, he
never really got to use it.

Dean VP
Apache Junction, AZ

"If pilots' vision were as bad as economists', Amtrak would be profitable."