[AT] Blizzard of '78

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Wed Jan 26 20:00:41 PST 2011

    Just wonder how many of you remember the Great Blizzard of "78 during
this week in 1978? 40 inches of snow, 100 MPH winds and temperature of -17
degrees. Wind chill was
-80 degrees.  Barometer reading of 28.28 in. At the time the lowest ever
recorded in the USA. 51 people died. Snow drifts 18 to 20 feet. Took more
than a week to dig out. Snowmobiles and National Guard snow tractors were
only vehicles moving. End loaders and bulldozers were used to clear the
roads.

    To make it tractor related, the township commandeered me with my Case
700 and a back blade they had to help clear some of the streets in the
village of Broadway where I lived at the time. Pushed snow for 3 days.
Fortunately I had a heat houser on the tractor, but was still cold.

    The program on Bowling Green PBS station last week and again tonight
brought back all the memories. It was a rough time for everybody, but sure
brought the community together. Local restaurand and bar fired up their wood
stove and had a perpetual soup pot on the whole time for anyone who needed a
meal. Everyone brought what they had to put in the pot.

Gene