[Ford-ferguson] Air cleaner problem - Ford 860

Jon Roberts roberts-farm at kconline.com
Fri Jan 28 18:08:48 PST 2011

Mike,
Your tractor looks clean (what I can see not covered by the wind break).  Do
you wash it off with a hose or powerwasher?  If water entered through the
intake slats/screen, then it would be a straight shot down to the bowl.
That's about the only way that I can imagine that amount of water getting in
there.
Also the winter air might not be real clean.  Even if it is not snowing, I'm
sure some is being stirred up when you move it.  Fortunately the air has to
rise through the oily wire mesh in that air cleaner.  I would get the bowl
cleaned out, filled (to the line) with oil & put back on.  I've run larger
tractors with plastic bowl precleaners ahead of dry air filters and they
(the precleaners) can quickly fill up with snow .
Jon, 860 plus several larger Fords & a Massey.