[AT] Blizzard of '78

DBigdog DBigdog at columbus.rr.com
Thu Jan 27 06:51:24 PST 2011

Gene,
    I remember it well.  For some reason our power was only off about 2
hours.  I suppose having a neighbor who works for the power company didn't
hurt.
    I was very active in Fire and EMS at the time and being close to the
station I ended up walking there as we had many calls to rescue stranded
motorists.
    The mild weather of the previous day was a stark contrast and in the
evening it was raining.  The front moved through so quickly that water
running across the roadways froze instantly causing ice dams across the
road.  Add to that the snow and wind and it was clear that no one should be
on the roads.  White-outs were frequent.  I was out with the fire chief in
the department's 4WD grass truck (he was driving).  We were trying to locate
a stranded motorist we had recieved a call on when the tones dropped for a
house fire.  The chief turned around and headed for the station driving way
too fast for the conditions.  He drove into one of the white-outs and about
that time we hit one of the ice dams across the road and ended up in the
ditch with two wheels (diagonally opposite) suspended in mid air.
    We spent the next 4 1/2 hours in the truck waiting for a wrecker large
enough to get us out of the ditch.  We finally got towed out and made it
back to the station.  The station became a community center and gathering
place for those without power.  It was several days before things got back
to normal.