[AT] Blizzard of '78

Sewell, Steven sewell at ohio.edu
Fri Jan 28 23:41:46 PST 2011

From: at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com [at-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com] On Behalf Of Gene Dotson [gdotsly at watchtv.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:00 PM
To: ATIS
Subject: [AT] Blizzard of '78

    Just wonder how many of you remember the Great Blizzard of "78 during
this week in 1978? 40 inches of snow, 100 MPH winds and temperature of -17
degrees. Wind chill was
-80 degrees.  Barometer reading of 28.28 in.

Yep, remember it well. I went to work that morning here in SE OH. Took over 3 hours for the 50 min. trip to Parkersburg, wva. Pulled a state trooper out of a snow drift in the middle of US route 50 east of Athens. He followed me to Coolville. Remember looking down the road at a valley that the fence posts got really short - almost disappered . I put it on the floor and broke thur - looked back and the trooper was on my bumper. (-;  7 of us made it to work that day out of close to 50. It was bad all that day. Boss told us ~ 2PM to go home and don't try to come back for a few days.  This was with a 1977 F250 2WD limited slip rear axle. After it was over I replaced the plastic grill that the drifts broke and had to rebuild the L/S unit. But I was 22 so it was great fun. (-;
 I also remember dad talking about the blizzard of  1950. And of grandpa about going to the Fairfield County fair in the early 1930's. That fair is the last in Ohio, in October. He and the 'hired hand' left that warm morning in short shirt sleeves. Retured that night with snow on the ground. Never saw the ground again till April the next year!

-steve