[Farmall] White Cub

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Sun Dec 4 08:50:53 PST 2011

Not that rare.  Among all the original, unrepainted tractors from the demo
range that I have seen pictures of or even heard of, there are vastly more
that were originally white than were originally red, probably in a ratio of
about 5 to 1.  I haven't actually kept records.  I don't know if that is a
statistically valid sample or not, but it strongly suggests there were a lot
of white demos in the first place.

Since the only difference between a demo and any other tractor of about the
same age is the paint job, counterfeits are not only common but
undetectable.  Since there is no difference, as far as I am concerned the
"real" demo that has been repainted isn't any more valuable than a
counterfeit.  And as far as I am concerned, neither is worth more than any
other tractor of the same age.  "Before" pictures don't add that much value
as they can be faked almost as easily as the paint on the tractor.  But hey,
value is a function of demand.  As long as there are people willing to pay
more for a demo, they have a higher market value.  As more "demos" are
created, eventually the market will saturate.  Unrestored original demos, on
the other hand, are hard to fake and there are fewer of them left every day.
Original white that never got the red repaint have to be the rarest of all.
They probably are worth more than their contemporaries.  After all, the demo
collectors keep buying them at premium prices and repainting them.

It kind of reminds me of the olympian that was so proud of his gold medal
that he took it out and had it bronzed.

One other point, since the only difference between a demo and any other
tractor is the "demo" paint job.  If you are going to restore a demo, you
need to accurately copy the demo paint job.  If you make changes "because
you like it that way", that is OK because it is your tractor.  But it isn't
a demo.  If you have things like a black starter, a blue rockshaft, black
anti-slip on the platform or vinyl cut decals, it isn't a demo.  Again, it
is just dinking around with an old tractor.

Jim Becker