[Farmall] Restoration

Barney Van De Weert bbvande at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 26 16:10:23 PDT 2011

I have done a Farmall 1941 A, and am currently working on a 1952 H. A took 10
years, H already has 2 on it. I do not sand blast a tractor, I will use it to
clean up stuff I can take off and away from the main unit. Rest I use a wire
brush, wire wheel or sandpaper. I then painted the base w/o fenders, wheels,
starter, generator etc as well as painting that stuff before I put it back on.
This let me get everything covered as well as hard to get to stuff. I painted my
A w/ Case-IH 2150 which is supposed to be the original color I also used
hardener in it so paint should last longer as well as shine up better. Case-IH
paint is made by Valspar and is good paint, I found it very easy to work with- I
applied w/ a HVLP gun I bought on amazon.com in a 3 unit set for about $80.00.

I also pretty much replaced all the seals and gaskets to stop any leaks, you
can't paint over oil, grease or anti freeze. I also replaced all the wiring
harnesses, if you have a bad harness or cable that shorts out you could loose a
tractor as well as a building.

I really enjoy my A, my daughter has claimed it as hers when I pass on. She
likes driving it as well. There's nothing like driving "NEW" 60 year old
tractor.
 Barney Van De Weert
3828 Heartwood St
Uniontown OH 44685