[Farmall] Restoration

Bob Currie tracturs at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 23:31:44 PDT 2011

Jerry, those are hard questions to answer. There are many variables with a
project like that. Having it done by Independence day will depend simply on
how many hours a week you (being a DIY) can spend working on the tractor.
And the amount of hours to complete depends on how fast you work, the type
of tools you use, and a major factor is the weather, unless you have an
indoor paint booth and climate controlled area for working.  My experience
doing a few tractors, and with my attention to detail, it takes me longer
than the average bear and no way could I do that job in 9 weeks, unless I
worked on it much of the time. It's also fair to warn you of the 35 percent
rule. The time needed and the cost of the project will almost always be
about 35 percent more than you originally figured. Case in point, the last
tractor I painted, the hood had to be sanded and painted three times before
it came out good. If you decide not to do a complete tear down, I'd say you
could have her done by your deadline as long as you have those other two
things.  Plenty of time to work on it, and the money to spend when needed.
How much does it cost?  I have no idea, it depends on the quality of the
materials and parts you buy, and if you want to purchase any tools. Such as
a nice, pneumatic sander versus sanding everything by hand. My
recommendation is to have a go at it, but don't lock yourself into a
deadline. If you get behind your time line, then it becomes stressful, and
all the fun is gone.

bobcurrie,
Greenwood, CA