[AT] [Farmall] Super M Fan Belt -- and other fun stuff

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Mon Sep 27 15:04:52 PDT 2010

> The difference in HP between the two days could be due to a lot
> of factors.  Air density, temperature are the main things that
> come to mind.

> ...could there have been a difference in the oil temperature
> between your two tests?

Wow, I'd say you guys hit the nail(s) on the head.  It was indeed cool and
dry on Saturday morning, and I was their first customer of the day.  They'd
warmed up the dyno on one of their tractors, but only for 20 minutes.  That
57 hp reading might not be repeatable in most circumstances.  I'm still
quite happy with Sunday afternoon's reading of 53.

> Nebraska Test results for the gasoline M, SM, 400 and 450 and
> their PTO/Belt HP progressed from 36.7 to 46.3 to 50.8 to 55.3
> respectively.  It would be nice to know for certain but my guess
> is there's a 450 under the Hood.

Well, it's a still a C-264 block rather than a 450's C-281, but I bet you're
right that it's at least got a 400's Fire Crater pistons or something
similar.  (I can sound knowledgeable on this subject because I have a copy
of Ken Updike's book on Classic Farmall Tractors open in front of me... :-)

> > a video of the first dyno test on youtube at
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl7_FgZGj5c.
>
> How many guys does it take to run an M&W dyno?

Ha, good point, Chuck!  It did tend to draw a crowd.  I'd have gone to watch
myself if I wasn't on the tractor.  :-)

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net