[AT] Too Dry to Plow

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Sep 16 09:00:52 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gene Dotson" <gdotsly at watchtv.net>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2010 1:44 AM
Subject: [AT] Too Dry to Plow

>    Following Ralph's posts on his wet conditions while here in Western,
> Ohio we are getting very dry. I have 20 acres of wheat stubble to plow.
> Yesterday I got the Case 700 tractor and Case 2 bottom plow hooked up to
> lay
> off a couple of lands on one 10 acre field. The ground is so dry I was
> barely able to scratch out 2 lands.

Gene, I think you would have a hard time plowing fields here too. I even had
trouble trying to disk a couple of weeks ago as the disks built up with mud
and eventually plugged with trash.  I guess too dry can be pretty
frustrating too but right now its looking better to me than what we have.
Raining again here this morning and we might see 50 degrees. I guess that
might at least slow down the sprouting in the swathed and standing crops.
I hear there have been a few acres combined damp and being dried but that
only works up to a certain point beyond which, it just does not pay.
Many acres of peas are still in the field. I have never seen or heard of
them being out this late before as they are generally ready to harvest in
early August. At least the wild geese and ducks will be well fed.

Ralph in Sask.