[Farmall] Replacement bolt for 340U fast hitch needed

br549 at hemc.net br549 at hemc.net
Sun Sep 12 14:33:59 PDT 2010

Got the Bail Pivot Mount removed today for those
interested in the saga.

I broke a couple more cheapo sockets since my last
post but ended up going to Harbor Freight last
weekend and found a set of 16 1/2 inch drive impact
sockets (3/8" - 1-1/4") plus a set of impact socket
adapters for $7.18 tax included. At that price, I had
some six point sockets that haven't slipped or split.
Still was able to shear one of the 3/4 to 1/2 HF
adapters using a 3/4 inch ratchet and a four foot
cheater pipe.

On to this weekend. I figure I need to get an impact
out next (PB Blaster and cheater not doing the
trick). I bring out my el cheapo 280 ft-lb max 1/2
drive impact and nothing. I decide that I'd better
get something that is more in line with the specs of
the bolts I'm dealing with (370-420 ft-lb specs by
the manual). I go to Home Depot and get the Husky Pro
650. Decided on that one because of the torque spec
and the lifetime warranty (didn't see many others
offer that warranty).

Back to the tractor this afternoon. New Husky in hand
and... nothing grrrrr. I took a look at what I could
try next and thought about the fact I had two of the
three bolts out. I decided to let the tractor do the
work for me. The bail pivot has an arm coming out the
left side of the tractor and that was the same side
with bolt giving me all the trouble. I wrapped a tow
strap around the base of a tree, connected my come
along to the strap and to a short length of chain to
the arm and started pulling the tractor towards me. I
placed a piece of 4x4 in front of the rear tires and
when the tractor reached the wood, the plate started
to rotate towards the right!

I removed all my rigging and used the same 4x4 to
knock the bail back to the left and went back to the
impact. I put the wrench on it and was able to see
the "I" in Taiwan on that HF socket move ever so
slightly. I changed the impact to tighten and it
moved a bit more. A couple more rounds of the back
and forth and I had success. Finally!

The bolt threads and shank were bone dry even though
I had used copious amounts of PB blaster 10+ times
over the last three weeks.

On to getting back to using my tractor and hope the
story will give you some ideas if you happen to get
into a similar jam.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Best,

Bryan