[AT] Mounted Cultivator discussion - was RE: JD CCA cultivator info

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Sat Sep 11 07:19:57 PDT 2010

Brian=
Back in my youth, about 1972, I spent part of "the summer of beans" using an
Oliver 770 with a 4 row mounted cultivator.  Normal for our area were
straight shovel points (these were the same width as the springs) and that
is what this setup had.  I liked it better than the 1850 with 4 row rear
mounted cultivators.  These were Sweetish times and about the same width
shovel points as the front mounted but the boss and said that they do a
better job. I could never see any difference.  The big plus to me was not
having to look back all the time, although that got to be less and less as
confidence grew over the 500 acres I covered.  The biggest problem with the
1850 was the power steering had a valve problem and you had to fight the
steering wheel to keep it straight.  That make for a long day, even when I
was 21 years old.  the 770 did not have PS, but did not require fighting the
wheel continually.
I think you will really like it as a cultivating machine - wish I could run
it for you for a few hundred acres!
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST