[AT] Mounted Cultivator discussion - was RE: JD CCA cultivator info

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sat Sep 11 04:35:41 PDT 2010

Location will dictate the norm for your area, obviously. I'm in central N.C.
and the main brand for cultivating was IH. It was chosen because of their
offset series making it easy to see what you were doing. I know some might
argue you can see on an Allis G, but those tractors were too small to do
anything else in a tobacco field. Once 3pt 2 row Lilliston cultivators
started getting popular, mid sized John Deere tractors gained popularity and
the offset IH tractors began to do a lot less cultivating. It's noteworthy
that Cubs were a rarity in the field--just too small. But there were plenty
sold to gardeners.

The only other crop cultivated around here was corn. Farmers stayed brand
loyal and used a lot of Farmall H and M tractors for that. There were some B
and C tractors, but they were too small for big field jobs and weren't
one-row so they were worthless in tobacco past mid-June. Later 3 pt 4 row
cultivators became popular. Ours was the only thing here made by
Massey-Ferguson. Finally herbicides put all the corn cultivators in the
fence row.

John Hall