[AT] Starting in the Cold

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Sun Oct 31 08:43:53 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "john hall" <jtchall at nc.rr.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Sunday, October 31, 2010 6:46 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Starting in the Cold

> Ben, with this list defining Cold is the first thing you need to
> understand.
> Where I am at, cold is between 25-40 degrees. A lot of guys here (maybe
> even
> yourself) have to deal with MUCH colder temperatures, making cranking all
> the more difficult. If we had to crank the tractors here in 10 degree
> weather, most of them would not crank.

John, the more I think about it we have nothing to complain about when it
comes to starting tractors in the cold nowadays compared to say 60 years ago
before rural electrification brought us into the 20th century. When I look
at photos of my Dad with his John Deere D parked in the single board shed in
winter and recall him telling the work involved in getting that tractor
going in winter time. No block heaters, no battery chargers, blankets etc.
If you ran the batteries down then you were out of luck. Start cranking the
big flywheel by hand. In the days before anti freeze it meant draining the
system every time after use,  and then quickly re-filling it once the engine
started. And better keep that radiator well covered too or else it would
freeze the water. I think he tried using kerosene or coal oil as a
substitute for water one winter but it gelled in the radiator and would not
circulate.
Its not surprising that he kept a team of horses for winter chores as they
were a little easier to get started than a tractor in those days.
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/p/a/142_165/24_202/LGoffonJDsmall-vi.jpg

Ralph in Sask.