[AT] Starting in the Cold

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Oct 31 19:27:41 PDT 2010

On 10/31/2010 7:46 AM, john hall wrote:
> .......I've heard of folks building a fire
> under the oil pan to warm the oil, but don't know whether to believe that or
> not, especially the way the fuel systems on the really old ones leaked gas!
John,

We had a neighbor that used to have a Fordson.  He told me that building
a fire under the engine was a standard practice with those in winter. He
never mentioned if there were problems with the gas catching fire, but
evidently, they did not worry too much, as it was common to burn a good
bit of firewood for a winter's engine starts.  He also said that if the
Fordson ever quit on a hot day while plowing, one would just have to
wait a bit for it to cool down, as that engine would never start when
hot.  He attributed this problem to vapor lock.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas, TX