[AT] Starting in the Cold

john hall jtchall at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 05:46:52 PDT 2010

Ben, with this list defining Cold is the first thing you need to understand.
Where I am at, cold is between 25-40 degrees. A lot of guys here (maybe even
yourself) have to deal with MUCH colder temperatures, making cranking all
the more difficult. If we had to crank the tractors here in 10 degree
weather, most of them would not crank.

 Basically, as has already been said, keep the tractor well tuned up and
make sure you have a strong battery.  It certainly won't hurt to crank it up
every couple weeks. If you let it sit for a couple months then decide you
need it, it probably isn't going to crank in cold weather.  It was about 40
degrees here yesterday morning when I cranked both A's (6 volt) with no
problem. On several occasions I have hand cranked some of my older tractors
to play in the snow. You need to learn what that particular tractor likes,
as in how much throttle and choke. You'll find they are all a bit different.

All of this reminds me of stories of old time sawmillers. My granddaddy
drained the water out of his 10-20 every night in the winter. When the crew
got the tractor cranked the next morning, they would break the ice in the
buckets and pour the water back in. I've heard of folks building a fire
under the oil pan to warm the oil, but don't know whether to believe that or
not, especially the way the fuel systems on the really old ones leaked gas!

John Hall