[AT] Starting in the Cold

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Oct 30 16:02:50 PDT 2010

6 volt systems can have problems in cold weather. The battery voltage
drops about one volt for every 10° drop in temperature below about 60°.
So the critical thing is to either keep the battery warm or fully
charged. Folks used to remove their battery and keep in indoors at
night, while others placed an old quilt over it and put a trouble light
next to it.

It also helps to throw a container of "Dri-Gas" into the fuel tank, as
moisture from condensation doesn't help.

And, of course, IH recommended changing to 10 WT oil in the winter to
make it easier for the engine to turn over. I use 10W40 or 15W40 in all
of my tractors for that reason, but some people prefer using "straight" oil.

Mike