[AT] O/T - Trailering

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Oct 24 09:28:01 PDT 2010

About 10 years ago, I bought a Case 430CK from a guy who was moving to
FL. While I was loading the tractor onto my trailer, he kept tossing
"stuff" into the back of my dump truck - tire chains, binders, log
chains, vises, bottle jacks, three-point brush cutter, and other things
that he couldn't/wouldn't sell and didn't want to take with him. By the
time both of us were done, I was pretty well loaded and almost certainly
at or above the combined 10,000 gross weight that the old F350 mason
dump was rated for. It was only about 30 miles, but almost all of it was
fairly steep hills over state roads and interstate highway in fairly
heavy traffic. And, did I mention, the trailer had no brakes.

It was a long slow pull, with a lot of angry drivers stuck behind me
when I had to shift down to third at 35 to get up the steeper hills. And
I was holding my breath and hoping that I wouldn't have to stop going
down - I could feel the trailer pushing the truck.

But I got home safely, for which I was very thankful. Not too long after
that, one of the rear brake lines blew while I was plowing snow, and I
thought back to my ride home with all that weight.
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/case_430_ck/case_430_ck_coming.html>

I still have the Case tractor, but the truck and the trailer are gone -
my tractor hauling days are over. If I ever buy or sell another tractor,
I will hire someone else to do the hauling (and the worrying). :-)

Mike