[AT] O/T - Trailering

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Mon Oct 25 14:24:48 PDT 2010

Well, as an active farmer my trailering days are most definitely not over,
but I have taken to occasionally having a local trucker haul for me. As I
mentioned earlier this year, when I moved the Cat D8 dozer I bought last
year and the Cat D6 I bought this year those were both hauled for me. In
both cases, there was no way that I could have justified the cost of
acquiring a truck and trailer that could have hauled either one. The D8
weighs around 57,000 pounds with the wide blade, dual cable rigs front and
back, roll cage and accessories! The D6 "only" weighs 24,000 pounds as it is
smaller and there is no dozer blade. The D8 had to be moved over a mountain
pass (~2200'), over 25 miles of winding and steep road, several miles of 1.5
lane road with cliffs on both sides and other impediments. With a 12' width,
that was a JOB and it was a very good thing that they are experienced
hauling for the forestry department....
     Saturday, I was hauling irrigation pipe from over on the coast (about
1/2 mile from the ocean on an area of high hills) and it started raining.
This was not fun finishing loading, but not bad. However I drove 45 mph all
the way back to the ranch except for where I went slower. I was not about to
let the slippery and muddy roads create an accident for me. I have never
encounteed an irrigation pipe trailer with brakes on it and that definitely
includes mine. Fortunately all of the slopes/grades on that drive were very
mild.
            Grant Brians
            Vegetable/Nuts/Fruit Farmer
            Hollister,California