[AT] Horsepower Question

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 06:42:09 PDT 2010

Horsepower is related to engine speed (revs) and torque. The tractor engine
makes horsepower at much lower speeds with correspondingly higher torque.
The smaller engine may put out a peak of 20 HP at the RPM peak but as soon
as you lug it down and compare useful horsepower, you'll find a big
difference. And the smaller engine isn't as likely to survive day after day
of full power usage like a tractor engine and in most garden tractors, it
never has to... also I believe the 20 HP from the tractor is actual usable
horsepower at the drawbar and the garden tractor rates it at the engine
before drivetrain losses.

Hope this helps.

Ken in AZ