[AT] Horsepower Question

Ben Wagner supera1948 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 06:00:13 PDT 2010

  Here is a puzzler that maybe someone with a better knowledge of
engines can answer.   I was asked this question, and had to announce
that I needed to look it up.  What better place than the AT Mailing?

I have a Super A with four cylinders, producing c. 20 HP.

I have a lawnmower, with an engine that says it is also 20 HP, with only
two cylinders.

What is going on?  Is this two different measures of HP?  Or has
technology improved that much?   What makes a little two cylinder "small
engine" have the same HP as four cylinder "tractor" engine.

Thanks,
Ben Wagner