[AT] More on the water pump

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Thu Nov 18 13:23:15 PST 2010

Jim & Lyn Evans wrote:
> If everyone is paying attention to this thread, you will see that it is the
> same old stuff that goes wrong with the new cars as what went wrong with the
> old cars.   If you can fix an old tractor you can fix a new car 90% of the
> time with a little bit of thinking and diagnostic time (and maybe a little
> advise from the internet)
>
> Check the plug wires, plugs, and vacuum lines first when your new car is
> running bad.  Other common problems are the wiring connectors are corroded.
> Unplug them and check that the terminals are clean and not rusty and when
> you plug it back in, it might magically begin working again.   I think the
> majority of oxygen sensors that are replaced are not bad, but all it really
> needed was to be unplugged and plugged back in to scrape off a little
> corrosion.  Same with a computer.  I think they rarely go bad, so why are
> they replaced so often (for $1000 or so)?

O2 sensors are a strange part. The common failure isn't that the part
itself went bad, rather it is that they got contaminated and no longer
read properly. Have a car that burns some oil, or maybe that slight
coolant usage that hasn't been fixed yet. Either one with contaminate
the sensor, as will using the wrong types of sealer and even some
"miracle" gas additives.

ECMs rarely fail UNLESS another part causes it. A bad alternator. plug
wire that fails and sends high voltage up a senor wire are common reasons.

--
Steve W.
(\___/)